Digital monetary providers in India are rising at a speedy tempo – most seen within the case of Unified Funds Interface (UPI) system. Nonetheless, within the absence of efficient grievance redress mechanisms (GRMs), these providers depart clients with out mandatory recourse and turn out to be tough to belief.
On this interim report, we doc our observations concerning the consumer interface of In-App GRMs in UPI purposes (UPI Apps). Our observations are based mostly on our assessment of the client redress journey on these GRMs – primarily when it comes to the GRM’s accessibility and value – from the lens of a low-income, digital immigrant buyer. Broadly, we be aware –
- Some apps don’t permit customers to lift complaints from an In-App GRM.
- When accessible, In-App GRMs are sometimes not positioned prominently on the display screen.
- Most UPI apps give customers data that may assist them resolve some issues on their very own, however only a few accomplish that in vernacular language.
- The In-App GRMs solely seize payment-related complaints. Both they pass over or make it tough to make non-payment-related complaints.
- There’s insufficient help in vernacular languages.
- Grievance-tracking mechanisms on the In-App GRM are tough to make use of
We additionally current some indicative measures that suppliers may strive, resembling (i) enhancing alignment with rules, (ii) conducting usability testing workout routines with constrained customers, (iii) constructing customers’ consciousness, and (iv) utilizing grievance knowledge as suggestions to enhance their providers.
The total report could be accessed right here.
Cite this weblog:
Narayan, A., & Prasad, S. (2023). Do UPI In-App Grievance Redress Mechanisms work for constrained customers? Retrieved from Dvara Analysis.
Narayan, Aishwarya and Srikara Prasad. “Do UPI In-App Grievance Redress Mechanisms work for constrained customers?” 2023. Dvara Analysis.
Narayan, Aishwarya, and Srikara Prasad. 2023. “Do UPI In-App Grievance Redress Mechanisms work for constrained customers?” Dvara Analysis.